Author Topic: Domain Services  (Read 1260 times)

Offline ecd

• View Profile
Domain Services
« on: February 26, 2015, 16:51:01 PM »
Ok, I know there are going to be different answers, but I'd really like some information and I feel like this is the best place to ask.  This is my situation.

One of my domains I purchased on sale for .50 and then the next year they billed me $35! I didn't even know this, and $35 is way out my budget! (register.com)

The other one (ericchurchdaily) I purchased for .99 and the annual price will be $38.45 (1&1.com)

So i have 2 questions:
Where is the best place (price wise) to buy a domain that isn't $35+ a year?
How do I go about switching domains, like moving ECD from 1&1 to a cheaper domain?

Please help, as I really want to keep ECD and don't want to lose it! :)

Offline Frederick

• I'm a nobody. Are you a nobody too?
    • View Profile
Re: Domain Services
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:54:13 PM »
I always buy my domains at Namecheap.com, they are very good and very affordable! I've never had a price jump ever like that and the .net domain's just went up a little bit and they emailed everyone to let them know WAY in advance. I def say you should move your domains to namecheap! Plus for the first year you get free whoisguard protection :)

Offline PinkRoseChristina

• View Profile
    • http://mikeposnerhits.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 17:56:44 PM »
Oh wow! That's a lot of money just for domains per year. Are you sure that amount is only for domain registration (1 year)? Could it be Email and other features included too? I actually transferred my domain from WordPress to GoDaddy just last February. I seriously saved money doing so, wish I had transferred my domain years sooner. I was clueless about starting a fansite and how to buy a domain for it back in Feb 2011. WordPress sells domains, so it was easy to buy and set it up, for $17 (yearly) at the time (last year it went up to $18). I then looked on RetailMeNot.com for a coupon code for domain registrars for transferring a domain, and GoDaddy had the best deal. I believe the special was $2.95 to transfer the domain for the 1st year. Then, during check out, I was offered the to add a 2nd year at a discounted price. My grand total was only $13.30 for transferring a domain for 2 years total to GoDaddy.

I did a Google search for a promotion and found you one for really cheap. Here's the link: https://www.godaddy.com/deals2/default.aspx?isc=geek149

If you have any problems with that link and/or promotion, then Google search "transfer domain promotion code" for example. Or go to RetailMeNot.com and search on there for GoDaddy promo codes, or any other registrars like NameCheap.com, etc. I did just check really quickly for any deals on there for transfers, and I saw one for like $8 with Name.com. Try searching on Google though, for sure. Good luck!

I definitely will be searching for promo codes next February when I'll need to pay for another year for my domain, or I may consider transferring again to another registrar if I find a new deal, which I'm sure I will. It's very simple to transfer a domain from one company to another. Do research on how to do so on Google, you should find the steps and details there.
MikePosnerHits.com | Official Mike Posner Fansite

Offline Carol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 17:05:00 PM »
I've become a big fan of Name.com - They're prices are pretty solid and generally the same on every domain purchase or renewal. 10.99 yearly for practically all domains. They almost always have a coupon for free WhoIs privacy, which comes in handy, and sometimes there is a coupon to get a .com/.net domain for 9.25 too.

I moved all my domains to them just this year after being with GoDaddy since I started making websites. Their transfer fee is reasonable and saved me half the price I would have had to pay to renew all the names I moved from GoDaddy and Namecheap anyway. So I'm solid until renewal time next year. :)

Hope that helps.

Ps: I had nothing but a good experience with GoDaddy, btw. I chose to move because the lack of coupons to help renew my domains and their renewal prices. Which admittedly is likely why I stuck with them for so long. I definitely couldn't afford their domain renewal program they offer now in place of said coupons.
i'm the architect of my own disaster. / collective / twitter

Offline Kimmers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 17:30:50 PM »
So I recently Priced a .com .net .org at Godaddy Name.com and Namecheap and found without coupons that name.com were the cheapest. I posted on twitter to ask the reason.

Name.com gave me a Polite reply and said various people charge different prices and they try to be competive.

Namecheap OMG instead of just answering simply they took it overboard to the point of rubbishing the competion, They said anything from they offered Free Privacy theres was a better service. They were more interactive, Even there CEO who is on Twitter got in on it. Even after I replied thank but am going with name.com got a better deal they continued it.

That has 100% turned me off them I will not buy from them. That's my experince but I've found name.com to be much more nicer and easy to deal with and i find there site less complicated.

Offline Camille.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 20:45:08 PM »
I've used the following:
Name.com
GoDaddy
Namesilo
Namecheap
1&1 (but I'll be transferring it to a different registrar when expiration draws near)

So far, I'm happiest with Namesilo - although I'd happily switch all of them over to Name.com or Namecheap depending on the domain extension if I had to. GoDaddy is too expensive
Sabrina Carpenter - Coming Soon

Offline Mary D

• Mary D
    • View Profile
    • MDF Graphics
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 14:30:59 PM »
I tend to use gkg.net for my domains. 

Offline luciensabre

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 12:33:53 PM »
Hi, new member/hostee here. :hi:

I always recommend Namecheap, Name.com and Dynadot for domains; the prices there start from $ 10-11/yr, but they all have monthly and special promos to save some money. :clap:

I use the italian department of Register.com (Register.it), and they have an option where you can pay the domain 9.90/yr (around $ 10-11); it's called Express Domain. Just browse around your control panel, you should be able to find it - for me it's in the domain transfer section.