Author Topic: Why don't we ever get notified of restores????  (Read 608 times)

Offline Fran

• View Profile
    • Ellen Page Daily
Why don't we ever get notified of restores????
« on: April 20, 2016, 18:16:13 PM »
I spent such a long time renaming and uploading things yesterday and to find out they have all been removed from my gallery. Assuming this was a restore? Why? If I had known you were planning a restore, I would have saved all my effort and waited until after the restore.... how far back did you restore it to?

Usually it doesn't bother me too much but since I spent over 3 hours working on it, I'm just very very upset.

http://ellenpagedaily.org
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 18:18:39 PM by Fran »

Offline Lindsay

• View Profile
    • http://stars.bz
Re: Why don't we ever get notified of restores????
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 18:43:00 PM »
Hello Fran,

Your site was transferred to a new server. I think the DNS must have been updating and you were still making changes on the old server.

Would you like me to transfer your files/databases again? That should get anything that you added while it was still pointing to the old server.

Please let me know, and sorry for the inconvenience. Usually most people don't notice when their site is moved between servers, but it was just bad timing (on my part) that you were updating things at the same time. Apologies.

Offline Fran

• View Profile
    • Ellen Page Daily
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 18:34:10 PM »
Thank you Lindsay, yes please to transferring the files/databases again - that would be worth a shot! It's just the photo gallery (/photos) that I would like to be retrieved. I'm not bothered with WP either way, nothing changed on there.

Are server moves a scheduled thing? Just in case of it happening again, I'll be afraid of making any huge changes lol.

Thank you for your quick and helpful support. (:

Hello Fran,

Your site was transferred to a new server. I think the DNS must have been updating and you were still making changes on the old server.

Would you like me to transfer your files/databases again? That should get anything that you added while it was still pointing to the old server.

Please let me know, and sorry for the inconvenience. Usually most people don't notice when their site is moved between servers, but it was just bad timing (on my part) that you were updating things at the same time. Apologies.

Offline Lindsay

• View Profile
    • http://stars.bz
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 23:58:00 PM »
Okay, I have transferred and resynced your files/database for your gallery. Hopefully it has restored what was missing. Once again, sorry about the inconvenience.

And server moves are quite rare, it's not something that is usually scheduled. Just unfortunate timing.

Any other questions or problems please do let me know.

Offline Fran

• View Profile
    • Ellen Page Daily
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 20:54:45 PM »
Thank you so much Lindsay! It's back to where I had left off. You are a dime :D